Sunday 4 February 2018

Triptych of the Week #5

Guildhall



_____________________________________________________________________________________
A rainy Saturday, feeling a mixture of weekend release and gloom, coupled with the bittersweet nostalgia which tends to follow me around when I'm in this neck of the woods: my old university stomping ground- this is what this triptych focuses on. 

I used 'miniature mode' on my Sony A5000. It's good fun to play with and seemed fitting for the subject matter. This is Portsmouth Guildhall (just around the corner from where I first lived when I came here at eighteen). I was young, free and troubled, although I didn't really know that at the time. The area is very different from when I was living here all those years ago. Guildhall Walk, once a club-ridden, bustling student hub, is now now relatively sobre (at least by day). There is a Sainsbury's Local in place of the cheesy, meat-market night spot, Walkabout, and a Seven Bone burger place (I recommend it) where once one of the more sedate pubs used to be. I enjoyed parts of the student life- the freedom, for example- but mainly I was just a square peg in a round hole.

Guildhall Square is quite something though. I walked through it every day in that first year and even before I'd decided to settle here for University, the grandness of the buildings impressed me. It makes you feel small when you walk through an area like this, particularly if you come from a humble, small town. And I guess that feeling of being anonymous and insignificant has its pluses and minuses.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

No comments :

Post a Comment