Friday 11 July 2014

Skincare Brand Review: La Roche-Posay

French brand, La Roche-Posay, is now widely available in the UK and in many countries around the world. French skincare is well-renowned for being superior to our 'chemist' or drugstore brands due to the expertise behind it and the ingredients used.


My first experience with La Roche-Posay was with the Physiological Micellar Solution (not pictured here). It is a pleasant water cleanser that removes dirt and make-up when applied with cotton wool. I have since tried many other micellar waters including: Nivea, L'oreal, Bioderma, Vichy and Nuxe. Compared to other brands, it is definitely up there with the best I have tried.

Last year I had a terrible allergic reaction to Murad's Clarifying Cleanser. In hindsight, it was a bad choice for my skin type, but I definitely paid the price. My face suffered from chemical burn and swelled up painfully, even after just one use- it was dreadful. Murad were less than helpful when I contacted them and as a matter of principal, I will never buy from them again.

I tried so many products, from Elizabeth Arden's Eight Hour Cream (good for burns) to E45, but nothing would give me any relief for days on end; I even had to take time off work and go to the doctors because the reaction was so severe. My skin could tolerate nothing. That was until I discovered La Roche-Posay Cicaplast Baume B5 in Boots, a soothing and repairing balm designed for skin damage. This amazing product now has a place in my heart as it helped me so much when I was in a lot of pain. I use this product after I use chemical exfoliants (funnily enough, none of these burn my skin like Murad did!). I will always keep this in stock because it is the most wonderful, caring product.

Redermeric R Intensive is another product that I have tried which contains 0.3% retinol. Retinol is known for its efficiancy in reducing the appearance of wrinkles and uneven pigmentation and I have some concerns in both of these areas. It is a gel consistency and applies nicely, however it is a potent formula and must be used with sunscreen. I need to use it more regularly to be able to give a more accurate review, and this is definitely a product that needs to work over time. 

Speaking of sun protection for the face, La Roche-Posay are known for their wide range of SPF products, known as the Anthelios line. I have the Melt-in Cream in SPF50, which is an ok product, however it is not my favourite sunscreen. It is a trustworthy sunscreen, but does take a while to settle in and for the white caste to disappear. Since purchasing this cream, a new anti-shine formula has been released which I think I would like more. Despite having dry skin, I have an ample forehead, which can shine like a beacon given half the chance! 

Wearing Dior Nude BB cream only
Now on to the Effaclar range. This range is targeted at those with oily and spot-prone skin, however I have found it works great for my dry and somewhat sensitive skin too. I purchased the Effaclar A.I. Targeted Break-Out Corrector some time ago and although I don't use it too often, it is a gentle product that is handy to have when my pores become a little decongested. My latest L R-P purchase is the Effaclar Duo+ and in my opinion this is a must-have. It is different to the original Effaclar Duo in that it also helps to prevent post-spot marks, and this is an issue I suffer from.

I received a sample of this with a beauty order from Feelunique, and I really liked how it felt very fresh on my skin and quickly got to work on small blemishes, fading them to nothing in a few days. I liked the sample so much that I purchased the full 40ml size at Boots and I am so happy to have a product that I know will keep my skin looking as clear as possible on a day-to-day basis.

My skin is not perfect; I am not in my twenties anymore and, for me, I want to look after my skin as much as I can. La Roche-Posay is not the only brand I use, but it is a brand I've come to trust and enjoy using very much.

I recommend escentual.com as your first port of call for La Roche-Posay. Not only do they ship to many places around the world, but French skincare is often on offer.

What products do you use to keep your skin looking its best?

No comments :

Post a Comment