Sunday 8 February 2015

A Few of my Favourite Things #9 (January 2015)

Currently wearing

  American Apparel beanie

With the bitter cold and (meagre) dustings of snow here in the South of England, the beanie has been a favourite of mine. This grey one from American Apparel has been a good investment as it is so warm and cosy, plus I like it on! The material is thick and feels very soft, yet durable. One of my favourite things about a beanie on me is that I get to pretend that I haven't got a 'five-head'! I wouldn't usually spend out on a hat, but the quality of this is so much nicer than cheaper beanies. I love the speckly grey colour as it goes with pretty much everything, and grey is probably my favourite colour for clothing- that's how exciting and daring I am! 


Currently playing 

Eve's Apology in Defense of Women/ Gather the Owls

The Elizabethan Session is a project involving some of the biggest names in folk music, for example: Martin Simpson, Nancy Kerr, Jim Moray and Bella Hardy. It is a tribute to the Elizabethan era with a modern folk edge. I was sold at the point of hearing the synopsis on Amazon. Nancy Kerr, as I've mentioned before, has one of the purest voices I've listened to. So, being a fan of Melrose Quartet and The Full English, I knew this would be up my street. I picked out this song above (click the link) because I love the Gather the Owls piece so much. Eve's Apology is also wonderful.

Currently applying 

                     Nip + Fab Glycolic Fix Body Cream


I think most people accumulate body creams, but don't actually use them regularly. I hear a lot of people talk about how they just don't have time for applying the stuff. I'm trying to be better and actually it's kind of working. My thought process when I choose a body cream to use (I own quite a few!) is I think about what my skin needs. One thing that I hate about shaving/ epilating my legs is that I'm left with red spots and ingrown hairs (yuk!) This Nip + Fab cream is a solution to this issue. If my legs are looking worse for wear, I apply this for a few days and it does make a difference to the smoothness and overall look. I have to admit that this is not a daily ritual (I work a full time job and don't have time to muck around with a regular 'body-care' routine), but on the weekends and evenings that I remember, I have been using this product and enjoy it. 

Currently watching
The X Files

Yes, that's right, I've been taking a trip back into the 90s (as usual for me- I love 90s music and TV!) I can't imagine many people would not know of The X Files. If you haven't, it's a US series in which two FBI investigators, Mulder and Scully, take on paranormal cases. It's all I've been watching before bed recently (no, it's not really very scary now we're in 2015). When I was a kid and watched the odd episode, it was a lot more frightening, but I think I can appreciate it more as an adult. I'm not a big paranormal activity believer, but I still find it really entertaining to watch sci-fi shows that are rooted in reality.

Currently spritzing 
Jo Malone Peony & Blush Suede

As you may have seen in a recent post, I purchased a Jo Malone fragrance set last month. I'm so glad that I decided to purchase a set of mini sizes, because I do believe that you have to properly trial a fragrance before you commit to buying a full size. I have enjoyed a few in particular, as I mention in my post, but Peony & Blush Suede is one I might purchase in the future. It is a floral which feels very comforting and luxurious compared to other scents I own which are heavier, sweeter or more woody. Compared to some of the other Jo Malone fragrances, it has a bit more lasting-power (although it's not amazing). I am really enjoying having a 9ml purse-size to take with me to work- this is a good daytime scent.

Currently reading

Nothing...

I debated whether to leave this section out this month because I've just not been dedicating time to reading. This is something that I feel slightly guilty about, being an English teacher, but I also believe reading is something to be enjoyed and treasured. When work takes over your weekends and evenings, all you want to do is veg out in front of some TV- well that's me, anyway. I hope to have something to report in my next 'Favourites' post, but if this section disappears, it will be because there's been no change on the reading front! If that happens, it'll definitely return when I get free from the ridiculously heavy and intense work routine... 


Currently eating

Fast food
I'm not going to put on a pretence here: January has been a month of eating unhealthily and generally about surviving, rather than healthy living. I'm not one for new year's resolutions, so I didn't pledge to give up or take up anything; I believe that if you want to make changes, you can do them at any time of the year. Moderation is my rule when it comes to healthy lifestyle, but this has not been a healthy month at all- Moderation has left the building. I have enjoyed many take aways and stodgy dinners; I've had a busy and highly stressful time with work which hasn't helped. Sadly, sometimes it's hard to get a balance and my health has fallen low on a long list of priorities. Maybe next month will be better...


Currently admiring
Jo Malone candle in Sweet Almond & Macaroon
This scent really appeals to me and after trying the Jo Malone fragrances recently, I would love to get a candle. I have been burning Diptque's Figuier recently, which is quite nice and subtle; I'd love something sweet and warming for these depressingly cold, dark evenings!  I may try and give this one a sniff if I happen upon a Jo Malone counter in the future.

post signature

No comments :

Post a Comment