Sunday 9 April 2017

5 Iconic Beauty Products


Sali Hughes shares a wide range of her top iconic products in the follow up to her beauty manual Pretty Honest, Pretty Iconic. It's a beautiful book to flip through, not only to celebrate iconic brands such as Chanel and Max Factor, but she also recommends some new products to try.

Taking inspiration from Hughes, I thought I'd post about my own top 5 iconic products- items that I have used for a long time and always go back to time and time again.


Skincare: La Roche Posay Cicaplast Baume B5

This face cream has a thick consistency, but sinks into the skin beautifully. I would never go without this product now after it has got me through some tough times with my skin. Irritation, allergic reactions, flaky skin, post waxing- this miracle balm soothes all of my skin woes. I completely trust this product and would highly recommend it for anyone who has worries about how to treat dry or aggravated skin. It literally heals skin and its antibacterial properties keep me reassured that I'm protecting rather than exacerbating any skin issues that I'm experiencing.  





Foundation: Nars Sheer Glow 

This foundation is not sheer and imparts somewhat of a glow, but nothing over the top dewy, just healthy-looking. 

I find the coverage to be medium, which is what I like, although it can be built up. I posted about it here back in 2014 and I have since re-purchased. 

Originally, I mentioned that it doesn't always settle well on dry skin, but over a primer or some moisturiser, it goes on like a dream and really blurs imperfections. It is quite fluid, but well-pigmented and quite emollient.

Mont Blanc suits my skintone really well for most of the year and it never looks like a heavy base. I love this stuff.

Mascara: Stila Huge Extreme Lash

I reviewed this last year and have since re-purchased it a good few times, which is saying something when I try lots of different mascaras. The photo in the post I linked above does not do this product the most justice in my opinion. It can really be built up with minimal clumping, giving really thick, dark lashes. It's also more affordable than some of the more luxury brands and gives similar (or in some cases), even better results.
Blush: Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush in Dim Infusion

The real test of whether a product is iconic is when you lose said product and spend ages wishing you could have it back in your life, even though you own other shades in the range or similar shades in other brands. This was my experience with Dim Infusion. It isn't a cheap blush, but I re-purchased it out of pure love.

My goodness me, this is beautiful!

It is a fine line when your a pale person when you try peachy blushes, at least on me that is what I have found. I have pink tones to my skin, so anything too orange can look harsh and fake. This stunning soft peach imparts a lovely glow as the blush colour is marbled with some of the Ambient Lighting Powder in Dim Light. It is not a glittery glow, just a subtle radiance. Whether it be a day at work, a wedding, a 'no-make-up make-up' day or a date night, this blush looks amazing. I get giddy writing about this blush shade because in my opinion it is pretty much perfect!

Fragrance: Viktor & Rolf, Flowerbomb

 I have solidified my position as a perfume collector/ hoarder/ addict in recent months and my collection is always growing. When I looked in my drawers, I could see all the beautiful bottles and some of the amazing, more niche fragrances that I have been trialling recently and absolutely loving, but Flowerbomb really is iconic in my opinion. It isn't my favourite perfume of all time, but is a secure number two (my beloved CK Contradiction is a throwback and sadly now discontinued, so I felt it was not truly 'iconic' in the sense that it is no longer in production.)

The name 'Flowerbomb' suggests it will be overpoweringly floral, but it is both sweet, sophisticated and deep to my nose. The base note of patchouli gives this fragrance an oriental leaning that I really enjoy in a scent. The top notes of bergamot and green tea make it fresh, but as I wear it for some time the rose, freesia and sambac jasmine give it a pretty, floral impact. 

Flowerbomb is an addictive, rich fragrance which lasts 6-7 hours on my skin (longer when sprayed on clothing too). Although it is sweet, it feels sophisticated and never sickly or sugary. I own the body lotion too, which is a great way to get longevity when combined with the fragrance. I also purchased the Bloom version recently with my Boots points- would anyone like a review?

What are your iconic beauty products and why do you love them?

No comments :

Post a Comment